Sep 20, 2008

Antarctica - Last Bound in World

Antarctica is Earth 's southern most continent , overlying the South Pole . It is situated in the , Southern hemisphere almost entirely south of the Antarctic Circle, and is surrounded by the Southern Ocean. At 14.4 million km² (5.4 million sq mi), it is the fifth-largest continent in area after Eurasia , Africa, North America, and South America. About 98% of Antarctica is covered by ice, which averages at least 1.6 kilometers (1.0 mi) in thickness.On average, Antarctica is the coldest, driest and windiest continent, and has the highest average elevation of all the continents. Since there is little precipitation , except at the coasts, the interior of the continent is technically the largest desert in the world. There are no permanent human residents. Only cold-adapted plants and animals survive there, including ,fur seals , mosses,lichen , and many types of algae.






























You Might Like World after Rain

2 comments:

Johanes said...

Thanks, seriously, I am very happy for you to select photos & use, along with words, I don't really think I can write word for you. I hope this is OK, like your blog. pacific island holiday

LesM said...

I am never happy to discover that others are making and using copies of my photographs without contacting me first to ask for permission.

I have never refused permission when asked, but I have many times taken the official, and legally correct, course of action to have pirated copies of my photos removed from various websites.

I would therefore ask that my photograph, taken on January 8, 2005, of the elephant seals on Hannah Island, adjacent to the Antarctic peninsula, be removed from your blog.

LesM